Sunday, October 19, 2014

East Timor Medical Elective - Week 3 (Part 5 / 6)

BUYING CHICKEN
This week, I asked one of the clinic assistants, “Luisa”, if there was anything I could do to help them or the children on the Malnutrition Ward. One of them told me that the children like eating meat, especially chicken. Unfortunately, their (very meagre) budget only allows for THREE chickens / month, split amongst the SIX children.

I decided to start buying a roast chicken every Saturday for the children as a treat. (This would be completely illegal in Australia, as under the litigious climate, would be seen as a potential health hazard, and as a “conflict of interest” towards to children as a staff/volunteer!!!)

On Saturday, I approached the Rotisserie on the way to BPC, to buy a roast chicken (chopped up) for $5. It was eye-opening to see the presentation of the meats. They were all stored on trays in the glass cabinet at room temperature. There was a risk that it may be spoiled, but I was told that it's actually a popular place. I hypothesized that if the place was popular, then it was unlikely that it'd sell spoiled meats, especially when the prices are expensive by local standards. I asked for the chicken, and the woman chopped it up, placed it in a paper-folded “container”, added a little bag of soy sauce, and placed the container in another plastic bag. Primitive, but workable and memorable.
I slowly walked to the clinic under the hot sun, wondering how they would respond, and if everything would turn out fine. I was too “shy” / anxious to present the chicken to the parents myself, and asked Luisa to distribute it evenly amongst the children. I nervously waited in the office, before preparing to walk home. 

Luisa bumped into me and said, “Ken, the children are eating the chicken, go have a look!”
I followed her into the Malnutrition room, and it looked like a “Kodak moment”: it was quiet apart from the ceiling fans and the chewing noises of the children. The parents were quietly focusing on them eating the chicken with the porridge. No complaints at all.

Inside I felt very “touched” but couldn't figure out why, and had to leave the room after a few seconds, coz I thought I was going to break into tears. They weren't openly worshipping me, but I suspected they were happy.

It seemed way easier to please people in developing countries. $5 was what it took to brighten the day of 6 families. I can see why working in a developing country could be attractive, with the poverty and reduced resources (medical and non-medical). The people seem much more grateful, and are less inclined to take things for granted.

But I had to remind myself, that if I wanted to work in a developing country in the far future, to truly consider how much of this would out of genuine altruism and/or job satisfaction, vs the desire to feed one's Ego and be “worshipped” by the patients etc.

I've decided to continue buying a roast chicken for the remaining Saturdays I'm in East Timor, but leave the Malnutrition Ward ASAP after I have distributed it out. At least that way, there is minimal potential time for me to “gloat” about this deed and “thrive” in their live gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment