Sunday, October 19, 2014

East Timor Medical Elective - Week 3 (Part 4 / 6)

East Timorese Patients (Observations so far)

It's now clear to me that the East Timorese patients are most amused by the Neurological Exams, by far. When I used the tendon hammer to do knee jerks on a patient, the other patients and relatives were looking on in amazement. Natalya was with me and she said that after I left, some of the patients were hitting their knees with their hands, trying to elicit the jerk (so cute)! A few patients were quite strong for knee flexion, and when I was trying to stop them from pulling their feet towards their bottom, stumbled over to others' laughter. Then there was the grandmother, who when asked to touch her nose, ended up putting her index finger up her nostril (lol), with her children “cracking up”!!!

We got to debride the dead/macerated skin from the Leprosy Pt's feet. It looked quite gross, and I pulled off his toe nails, but he didn't feel pain. I was very worried about causing pain if cutting too deeply, and “jumped” when his foot suddenly shifted for easier viewing by another student. It almost felt as if I was having more pain than him, and he was laughing so much the entire time.
It made me happy that the patients etc took joy in taking part in physical exams. I couldn't tell if it's because of their “Un-Medicalized” state, or coz they take humour in little things, perhaps because they'd otherwise have little to be laughing about (in light of poverty and hardship). In fact I think their threshold for humour is very low by Australian standards, to the point of finding “slapstick” content hilarious. I imagine they'd love the classical Charlie Chaplin movies. Even outside the clinic, I've seen children laugh at me when taking big bites out of an ice-cream cone, or when my head hit a low-lying branch whilst walking. Adult strangers have laughed just coz I was walking fast / running from one place to another in a hurry. It seemed Aspie-ish, in that they perceived these little details with more value, and don't overlook it automatically. But I strongly suspect that this “Humoural Sensitivity” will gradually fade away if they become wealthier, and progressively de-sensitized by the deluge of Western media and culture.

(In fact, maybe I could make a list of things that have amused the East Timorese patients, or amusing responses by them...)

It was touching for me to see a Heart Surgery Pt return from Australia, and donate his remaining Oxycodone to the Clinic's Pharmacy for other patients in severe pain coz he didn't need it anymore. I've never seen such “medication” generosity in Australia, where Oxycodone and Morphine have a reputation for being overprescribed and abused or diverted for money.

Unfortunately, part of the “Medical Innocence” manifests in a lot of patients as being rather “poor” historians (even taking communication barriers into consideration). It's not uncommon for a patient to say one thing, and then say the opposite several sentences later. I thought they were lying, but seemingly according to my Tetum Language Book, it states that East Timorese people will state something as the truth even if they're not sure that's the case – the usage of modifiers such as “perhaps”, “maybe”, “if I recall correctly” is less prevalent than in English. If they've had a certain issue for several years, they often just say “kleur ona” (a long time), without specifying the years. I have to “prod” them to state how many years. And then there are a handful of patients who misunderstand Asthma, thinking that it means shortness of breath (from any cause).

It doesn't help that Tetum has several deficiencies in facilitating history-taking. Despite the inclusion heaps of Portuguese loans for scientific/technical terms, the core Tetum actually misses several grammatical points that would've facilitated history taking. For example, you can't ask “How long have you had this pain for?” Instead, you have guess the units of time, ie “How many days/weeks/months/years have you had this pain for?” There were others but I can't think of it for now.
My observations so far are that they're most accurate when it comes to discussing medical issues that are very recent onset (eg abdominal pain startig last night), with progressively less accuracy for more chronic issues.

The “Medical Innocence” is quite interesting at times, especially the heterogeneity in medical knowledge amongst the East Timorese patients. There was a village girl who had Pneumonia, and I told her mother that she'd be receiving “antibiotika” (antibiotics). She didn't know what antibiotics were. I then said it was a medication that helped eliminate certain “bakteria” (bacteria), but then she didn't know that word either. Then there was another patient who knew what bacteria was, but never heard of a “virus” (virus). I had to get the interpreter to explain to her that a virus was a bit like a bacteria in that it can cause infections, but it's even smaller, and you can't kill it with antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment