Sunday, October 19, 2014

East Timor Medical Elective - Week 3 (Part 2 / 6)

EAST TIMORESE PEOPLE AND FORGIVENESS
I couldn't understand why the East Timorese people forgive so easily. Especially with regards to the Indonesian massacre of the East Timorese in 1991 and 1999 (apparently up to ~1/4 of the population died), why they have still have little problem with Indonesian culture or Indonesian people. It's a complete contrast to a significant portion of Chinese and Koreans who hate Japan coz of WW2, and the Australian Aboriginals who still complain about injustice even though they've already received an official apology, and copious social welfare (unlike the East Timorese who receive virtually NONE) and academic scholarships despite the statistical majority not making the most of what they've been given.

I got told that it's because East Timorese people need to look forward and not dwell on the past. Their economy is also still largely independent on Indonesian products, so it's important to have amicable relationships to avoid an embargo that would destroy their economy even further. But I wondered how much of their external humility is due to their poverty. If East Timor was in an economically superior position, could they then be less forgiving and get away with it? Do they genuinely forgive Indonesians (eg as a Catholic notion, eg “turning the right cheek”), or is this a strategic move to not “rock the boat” any further lest they suffer from a hypothetical Indonesian embargo?
An Aspie (before I came to East Timor) told me that she never burns bridges with other people, “you never know when you need them”. Maybe East Timor is in a similar situation.

Nevertheless I find their attitude very inspiring, and it helps to put into perspective the significance of some of my previous problems, of which I've now moved on from.

MINI-CLINICAL NOTES
- I saw a patient whose respiratory symptoms were milder than before. I thought that it couldn't be TB, if he wasn't diagnosed with it after the first time (that was more severe), but I was proven wrong. He was still given a provisional diagnosis.

- There was a dyspnoeic patient who had suspected TB. He didn't officially have Asthma, and never used “Ventolin” (salbutamol) before. He had digital clubbing for a long time. I was puzzled as to what condition he had. Maria came to listen to me present the patient, and soon commenced him on nebulized salbutamol + budesonide. 

I felt dumb; it was obvious but it just didn't occur to me at the time. Just because a patient has never been diagnosed with the condition, doesn't mean they can't have it. You might as well give the treatment a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment