Sunday, February 9, 2014

Paediatrics (Part 4/5, RETROSPECTIVE POST)



Strangely I didn't meet any ASD Children by myself which was a real shame, although I witnessed a few when sitting with other Paediatricians in the Epilepsy and Developmental Paediatrics Outpatients (at RCH), several who were very low-functioning supposedly secondary to documented Genetic Mutations, non-verbal and had Bowel + Bladder Incontinence (severe Frontal Lobe impairment). According to my Developmental Charts, none of their domains (Gross Motor, Fine Motor & Vision, Speech & Language, Social & Emotional) reached that expected of a “normal” 3 year old. One of them couldn't tolerate Eye Contact at all and had to use a Mirror in order to look at other people. 

They would most likely required expensive 1-on-1 support for the rest of their life (given the current technology), being a massive financial and/or emotional “burden” on the Carers and Taxpayers. It made me wonder how productive it is for me and other Aspies to be placed in the same Diagnostic Category (ASD) in the DSM-5, although it's true that we're both on the Autistic Spectrum. The purpose of the Spectrum is to acknowledge there is significant variation in functioning and abilities, but I worry that people would just stereotype me to be totally impaired or incompetent when actually I have my sharp sets of strengths and weaknesses. Maybe the only Solution is for more Aspies to “Come out of the Closet”, to help promote awareness of the condition, and that not all ASD people are “Retarded” or “Savants” like “Rainman” (Kim Peek, who supposedly had FG Syndrome in fact, and not ASD).

For a fleeting moment, I wondered if low-functioning ASD Children (at least, the ones who will still be low-functioning as Adults) were better off being aborted instead of being born as they wouldn't have the Executive Function or Cognitive Abilities to lead any semblance of a “Productive Life”, but I was horrified and disgusted at myself for possibly supporting Eugenics (beyond Terminal conditions). I really wasn't sure what to think.  The Cognitive Dissonance seriously made me very uncomfortable.

I've for the most part thought it was sad but acceptable for pregnant Women to terminate Foetuses diagnosed with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) given the Severity of the Disability, but to support the Termination of innocent Autistic Children?

How could I be a Supporter of ASD Individuals, yet go against some of my kind???!!!



Am I a Hypocrite???!!!



Does one have to be productive member of Society to justify their Existence or Differences (Medical Condition, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Lifestyle etc)???



Where does one draw the line for Therapeutic Termination???

This is all so complicated to me, and I'm unable to neatly categorize it using typical “Black & White” Thinking because of the Emotions and Politics involved. I still dunno what the correct Answers to the above Questions are...

No comments:

Post a Comment