Thursday, February 20, 2014

Nightmare

I just woke up from a vivid Dream (or rather a Nightmare).

I was in a Room gathering Notes for 2 other Medical Students until the Tutor came in and passed me a Note, which happened to be a Notification on me to the Medical Board.

The Complaint was from a male Patient who stated that whilst I was scrubbing in Theatre for his "Buttock Surgery" (I suspect this is for non-cosmetic Purposes, therefore General Surgery albeit unusual), I injured him too much with whatever Tools were used in the Operation (presumably Scalpels), and he has been permanently scarred and in pain. His Wife "Norm" was very distressed ever since. For some reason the Notification stated he was taking "Irmlodipine" (which I presume should be Amlodipine, spelling error in my dream!) but nothing else.
The male Patient said in the Notification that he was ready to contact the Medical Authorities and was willing hunt me down ASAP.

It was soon after that in which I woke up.

Holy shit, thank goodness that was just a Dream!!!

------

I'm trying to reduce the stress of this Nightmare by openly discussing it via this Blog Entry.

As ridiculous as this Nightmare sounds, it particularly striked me as it mimicked my very real Experience of being notified to the Australian Medical Board (part of AHPRA) for unfair reasons during Med School. Whilst I got away with it in this instance, I recall being extremely stressed / anxious for 4+ months as I was worried that I'd be deregistered, wasting my (incompleted) Medical Education.

I wonder if this Nightmare was a reflection of my ongoing or subconscious Fear of being Sued or Notified by a Patient?

I wonder if I will have this constant fear while doing the actual Internship in 2015? Will I be able to sleep without having to resort to Benzodiazepines or Antihistamines?

I know classmates and Doctors who in the past think that maybe I shouldn't do Medicine due to the high-Stress Nature of the Profession, but I'm still willing to give it a go, just to see how I fare out. I may have Asperger Syndrome, but historically there were plenty of Aspies in Medicine with successful Careers due to very strong compensation mechanisms. Let's see if I can become one of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment