Sunday, February 9, 2014

Paediatrics (Part 1/5, RETROSPECTIVE POST)



Following O&G was CAH (Child and Adolescent Health, ie Paediatrics). Of the 9 weeks, I spent about 6 weeks in total at the Paediatrics Department of my Clinical Hospital, and the 3 other weeks at RCH (Royal Children's Hospital) for lectures and a mini-attachment. Paediatrics was the first Clinical Rotation that I REALLY enjoyed and was enthusiastic about, of which there were multiple factors. I temporarily felt “ALIVE” and “SWITCHED ON” which was a huge contrast to my very low state the previous Semester. Another thing that made this Rotation memorable was that all the supervising Paediatricians knew about my AS and were amused by it given its relevance to Paediatrics. None of them were patronizing or treated me like a child. I didn't experience any repercussions in disclosure and knew in advance that it would be taken well.

The Paediatrics Department of my Clinical Hospital was very small compared to RCH, there were about 18 beds, and about 1/3 of them were for Eating Disorders. Being male and not a Paediatrician involved in their care, I was advised to avoid speaking to patients with Eating Disorders (all teenage girls). Most of the rare and complex cases would've been transferred to RCH, so the remaining Case-Mix at the Peripheral Hospitals (including this one) were very “Bread-and-Butter” - Pneumonia, Bronchiolitis, Gastroenteritis, Dehydration, with a bit of Epilepsy. Because there were so few Inpatient beds, I actually spent more time at the Paediatric ED which although had even fewer beds, but had much higher turnover, and hence more opportunities to practice Clerking and Physical Exams.

Like with Women's Health, we had a PBL (Problem-Based Learning) Tute each week at the Clinical Hospital and opportunities to attend Outpatients, along with morning Ward Rounds (including on the Weekends if we'd like).

PBLs were mostly on “Bread-and-Butter” cases. However there were two Tutes that stuck out in my mind, the first one regarding a fictional 4 year old boy who was being assessed for ASD / Fragile X Syndrome. Somewhere in the text it said that the boy had frequent “Tantrums”, particularly coz he wasn't able to communicate his ideas owing to his Speech Delay. I wasn't happy at the term “Tantrum” being used coz it brought the connotations of being naughty, rebellious, and/or manipulative (in reference to NT children, eg at the supermarket wanting something but not getting it), when he was anything but. 

In the Tute, I said I found the term offensive and misleading and that the more appropriate term for such an ASD child would be a “Meltdown” due to his current neurological deficits being unable to meet his personal needs, leading to massive frustration and vulnerability. And that the approach to his “Meltdown” (Education, Accommodations, minimize Sensory Overloads) would be completely different to that of a “Tantrum”, which we were taught to just “ignore the child until they stop whining, to give them the message that their Tantrum isn't working or acceptable”. I feared that parents would treat ASD children having Meltdowns inappropriately, which would just exacerbate the situation and cause more mental scarring. However the Tutor insisted that it was still a “Tantrum” in the literal sense, and was thus appropriate. This incident was very frustrating and ironic to me, given that ASD people like me supposedly take things more literally (relative Frontal Lobe deficits), and have an impaired ability to comprehend language pragmatics (including subtle connotations), and yet it was the Tutor (NT) who took it literally.

The second memorable Tute was about a Teenage girl who had several psychosocial issues to be addressed in conjunction with Epilepsy management, including Smoking, drinking Alcohol, teenage Sex and possible Depression. IIRC, in the passage regarding her Past History, that she “Tried Sexual Intercourse a few times last year but didn't enjoy it, so hasn't had it since.” This phrase was particularly interesting to me, coz it was only then I realized that sometimes, in order to dislike an activity, you have to give it a try first. I literally told the Tutor that “In order to know that she doesn't like Sex, she has to try it first,” in which he concurred. 

It may sound really obvious to others, but it helped influence my approach in life, that part of personal growth involves getting out of one's comfort zone (or narrow interests / repetitive activities) and experiencing new things temporarily, which would assist with developing one's perspective too instead of relying on preconceived notions or fear. I now see it as collecting more data to analyze. Sometimes there are strangers who I'm interested in speaking to, and whilst I used to be too anxious about approaching them at all, now I'm more forthcoming and curious, thinking it's “It's either I speak to them now, or never and continue to wonder what it's like if I had spoken to them”.

No comments:

Post a Comment