Saturday, August 22, 2015

East Timor Medical Elective - Week 5 (Part 1 / X)

Week 5 (29/9/14 – 3/10/14)

ANITA” (Not Pregnant and Intellectual Disability)

Anita was a (slightly overweight) teenage girl who was admitted to BPC as she had (IIRC) Amenorrhoea for a few Months. Maria initially tried to clerk her, but gave up partway through as she (Anita) was a seemingly very poor Historian, and was apparently unable to give straight Answers. I decided to give Anita another Chance and spoke to her that Afternoon.

Anita was with her sister (and her sister's boyfriend). I asked her questions but like with Maria, she was unable to confidently say “Yes” or “No”. I thought she might've been delirious, and asked her about location and time, but she initially couldn't answer it. Other people giggled during the History-taking, and another Guy whispered her the answers but I told them not to coz I was assessing her Cognition. Her sister ended up offering a collateral History, but I didn't think it was an accurate Account, coz I had a gut Feeling she was trying to manipulate the Story to suit her personal Agenda.

An Abdominal Ultrasound was done which showed an empty Uterus. A Urine Beta-HCG test was also ordered which was negative. I told Anita and the rest that she wasn't pregnant. What really surprised me was that Anita's sister looked really disappointed, that she wasn't pregnant.

I couldn't understand why Anita's sister wanted her to be pregnant, especially when it looked like she had an undiagnosed (Intellectual) Disability. I mentioned that she may have an (Intellectual) Disability, using the word “Aleijadu” (disabled) but she (Anita's sister) got really defensive and said it was because she only had Schooling up to Grade 3. I then asked Anita really simple questions, like the colour of objects I pointed (Red, Yellow, Black, Green), but she guessed those wrongly too. I briefly discussed Anita's case with Maria who said that even if she had that little schooling, she should be able to recognize “basic” colours. I passed on Maria's Opinion to Anita's sister but she immediately became silent and seemed upset. I reiterated that she wasn't pregnant, and that if she was, there would be something seen on the Abdominal Ultrasound by now.

I discussed the Disability issue with the other Timorese BPC Staff, and they said that the term “Aleijadu” is mostly in reference to physical Disabilities. They actually have a term for stupid/slow-minded which is “Bilaan”, but it's sometimes used perjoratively, like “Retard” in English. They all agreed that a Grade 3 student would usually recognize those Colours. Even though I didn't say “Bilaan”, they said that Anita's sister could probably tell that I was implying it.

In the following morning's Ward Round, Anita's Bed was found to be empty. Usually the Patients wait for Dr. Dan's “official” approval to be discharged even if the issue got sorted out in the afternoon, but this time they left prematurely.

I felt a bit bad inside, like I was too blunt when talking to them. The possibility of your relative not being “normal” can be shocking. Also, Psychiatry and Neurological Conditions are also overall very poorly understood in East Timor by the public. The Shock may also be even worse if you were building up a massive Lie/Inaccurate Justification the entire Time. Although Anita wasn't pregnant, I was concerned about her in the long-term, especially when she is vulnerable to getting raped, but we didn't bring the Discussion that far.

Better luck next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment