Sunday, September 21, 2014

East Timor Medical Elective - Week 2 (Part 3 / 5)


EAST TIMORESE PATIENTS (OBSERVATIONS SO FAR - Week 2)



The East Timorese patients (at BPC at least) seem a lot less “medicalized” (in the Modern Western sense), and are more “innocent”. This is clearly in part due to less exposure to health information. For example, not everyone has heard of Diabetes or Anaemia. A lot of them understand the concept of blood/urine tests, X-rays, and measuring blood pressure, but consider the other investigations (including ECGs) to be rather “alien/exotic”.

Sometimes they give unusual responses to medical questions. I asked a lady with shortness of breath, “Do you exercise?”, and she said “Yes”, and when asked to clarify she said she “works at the market selling fruits and vegetables”. I said “that's not really exercise, I was thinking of activities like running, swimming and basketball.” 
              - Given the high prevalence of poverty and malnutrition, I suspect obtaining regular exercise isn't a high priority for her and many others, especially when they're not getting enough food to begin with, and are often scraping by to make a living with little free time at the end of the day.

Another example, there was a patient who had ?Delirium, and I was trying to screen his level of consciousness by asking “what day is it today?” “what month is it now?”, but his friend initially answered those 2 questions without realizing my intention. I had to tell him to stop answering for him.

There's also some interference from traditional folk medicine (“Aimoruk Timor/Tradisional”), like one of the patients putting hot garlic on her forehead for a headache, but creating a light burn instead. I'm more concerned about any traditional Timorese herbs that can interfere with metabolism of other drugs, like the St. John's Wort that a handful of Australians use for mild depression.

A lot of them view the physical exams with curiosity, and seem to be most amused by the Neurological Exams. Every time I physically examine a patient, most of the other patients and families inside the room start staring at us (if not already so during the history-taking process), like I'm doing a magic trick. Occasionally it gets to the point where I had to use the portable partitions on a man for even a non-sexual physical exam, simply because he was embarrassed by others looking in our direction.

"Lucinda"
"Lucinda" was the patient I most fondly remember that week, who was still depressed/really upset over father's death, and claimed to feel limb weakness after a headache. I wasn't sure if she was “somatizating” (expressing mental/psychiatric discomfort via physical symptoms etc), but was worried she had a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage etc, and did a Neuro assessment. 

When I proceeded to the Cranial Nerve Exam, I asked her to stick her tongue out and move it left and right. She did it for a short while but then smiled/blushed and stopped after other people in the room quickly started laughing out of amusement.

I felt good being able to make an unhappy person smile, but I find that I can't force people to laugh if I try, but have to just continue behaving like my normal self and let them “find” the funny bits in my behaviour (if they find it “funny”). I've noticed that the things that I do naturally, that some find funny, is often annoying to others.

 -----

The “Medical Innocence” of East Timorese people seemed “refreshing” to me. Hardly any of the patients here take antidepressants, even if they have access to it. The Clinical Medicine at BPC is overwhelmingly for organic conditions. It's not “holistic” under the biopsychosocial model, but the patients all seem grateful and respectful towards the doctors and nurses. I haven't seen a single "Code-Grey"-like incident (patient aggression) so far.

I wondered if East Timorese society would overall become unhappier and more demanding as their health literacy (esp. awareness of all the diseases and risk factors) improves over time. Given the urgency of dealing with their TB and HIV/AIDS crisis in East Timor, it would probably be selfish for me to say this, but being exposed to the Australian system, I briefly felt like “ignorance is bliss".

No comments:

Post a Comment