Sunday, September 7, 2014

East Timor Medical Elective - Week 1 (Part 3 / 5)

The traffic in Dili is so ***BUSY***, it just goes on and on and on, barely any lapses. The drivers and motorists take great liberties in the dearth of traffic lights. I thought that it wouldn't be so bad coz most of the locals can't afford cars, but there's a lot of Taxis, Motorcycles, “Mikrolets” (minibuses) and Jeeps (I presume for expatriates and the rich elite Timorese). Thankfully Taxis are quite cheap by Western standards ($2-5 / trip), so we could save the hassle of crossing roads, but for the occasions that we had to, it was really terrifying. I was really paranoid of crossing the roads, so I stockpiled on food to last at least 1 month before I have to go to a supermarket again. I was initially planning to travel outside of Dili on my days off for touristy stuff (eg visiting Mt. Ramelau, the tallest mountain in East Timor with the Mary Statue at the top), but scrapped that thought due to the poor quality of country roads (heaps of potholes). Maybe in the future...










































There wasn't much beach area at the coast of Dili, but the scenery was still pretty nonetheless. And then we visited the Tais (traditional hand-woven cloth) market, and local fruit and vegetable markets. It was weird that East Timor doesn't really produce Durians even though they have similar climate to Malaysia and Indonesia. I was surprised that I haven't seen any beggars so far, or people begging us for money. I read somewhere that begging (“Ezmola”) is unacceptable in their culture, but would've thought that people would eventually get desperate.

The East Timorese children seem to like posing in photos even if they don't get to keep it. A boy asked me to snap him, and I showed him the photo, in which he was pleased. His Dad didn't seem to mind at all. This is so different from Australia, where an adult stranger taking photos of children in public is suspected of being a Paedophile. The irony was that statistically from previous readings, there is sadly a lot of child sexual abuse and incest in villages outside of Dili, much more so than in Australia. And this is supposed to be a Catholic country...

We visited the famous Cristo Rei which is the Jesus Christ statue standing on Earth a short drive's way from Dili. It was tiring climbing up the hill, but it was interesting to see the intermittent stone carvings along the footpaths depicting the scenes prior to Jesus' crucifixion. The scene from the top with the statue was wonderful, nice and windy. Funnily when I looked at the Australia part of the Earth bit, Tasmania was missing!

However due to the traffic issue, I'm extremely reticent to do any more sightseeing around Dili unless invited by others.

-----

Add: Laptop batteries are running out, I'll re-order and add captions to these photos next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment