Monday, March 10, 2014

Psychiatry (RETROSPECTIVE POST)


Psych (6 Weeks)


Our Psychiatry Rotation was done at the APU (Acute Psych Unit), which was in a separate building from the main Hospital. However our first Week included Lectures at another Hospital from an eminent Psychiatric Consultant. We also got to hear a Speech from a Schizophrenia Advocate about his Experiences with Schizophrenia and the Healthcare System which was a bit touching. I was internally amused that he also had Flat Affect, and I was able to detect the Parallel about how his Condition came to control his Life, and his ways to cope with it. Like ASD, Schizophrenia also comes as a Spectrum, although it’s typically much later onset, however at least they (along with ADHD) have the Convenience of official Medications to control any acute Symptoms. Even with Asperger Syndrome, you don’t stop thinking about it every day. You don’t want to define yourself by your Condition, but it affects the way you process Information and analyze Things that frequently you feel like an Alien or an Amateur Anthropologist on a foreign Planet.

I wonder if De-Institutionalization is the best thing for certain Psych Patients. Understandably there were significant Abuses in the massive Psychiatric Institutions in the past, which I think was also secondary to the Paternalistic Culture of Medicine, however I do see some Merit in that System. Currently, there apparently isn’t enough Funding to get all of the De-Institutionalized Psych Patients to adequately integrate into the Community, which to some Degree poses more harm to both the Patients and possibly the Public.
On a note, the recent and tragic Stabbing of Dr. Michael Wong (Neurosurgeon) at Western Hospital in Melbourne, by a Patient who was supposedly Psychotic and was a poor English-Speaker seemingly demonstrate Gaps in the Welfare of such Patients, who really should’ve been stabilized prior to being released.

Psychiatry was considered a “scary” Rotation by a lot of the Students, so very few from my knowledge went to the APU to clerk Patients, with the exception of supervised Clerking in Tutes by the Psych Registrars. I was warned that a lot of the Psych Patients in the APU were potentially aggressive or manipulative due to comorbid Personality Disorders (predominantly Cluster B), so I had to wear a Security Alarm when speaking to them. I ended up going through a lot of Patient Files to read their Medical Histories and learn how their Psychiatric Conditions have evolved, and how it was managed. I must say I found this very engaging, almost like reading an exciting Novel or Biography.

I did manage to speak to 2 Patients - a Woman with Bipolar Disorder and an Aspie Guy who was around my Age. 

I’m not allowed to disclose the presenting History due to Confidentiality Issues, but it was so fascinating / surreal to see a person display the Textbook Symptoms of a Medical Condition, especially a Psychiatric one. The Woman was still in a Hypomanic Phase, and looked elated and chatty. She stated that she hasn’t had much Sleep or Food to eat (due to low Appetite) recently, and told me a lot about her Personal Life, which whilst I didn’t mind at all due to the Open-ness, was apparently inappropriate to NTs as it was being “Overfamiliar”. She spoke rapidly but I was still able to follow her Train of Thoughts. In some ways it was actually easier for us to engage in Conversation as there were lots of different Topics to talk about. My perception was that it was easy to develop Rapport with her, to the Point where I actually gave her a small Present for her Birthday during her Admission. In Retrospect, I realized this was “Unprofessional” and was told by my Psychiatrist that such behaviour could distort the Professional Relationship, particularly as people in Hypomanic or Manic Phase are vulnerable to being exploited, plus the fact that she was only being “Overfriendly” coz she hasn’t been adequately medicated yet, and that the “Stabilized” her would have a higher Guard on par with most NTs. 

The Woman was fearful of the Aspie Guy coz he was being very noisy, which I presume was making sounds as a Stimming Activity. I found this amusing and sad as Aspies are usually quite “Soft” and “Innocent” if unprovoked (into Meltdowns) and would make very weak Enemies due to their intuitively reduced Theory of Mind and likely Executive Dysfunction to execute any malicious Plans whilst getting away with it very difficult if not impossible. I suppose she doesn’t know about his Diagnosis, and I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to tell her due to breaking Confidentiality, but I told her that he’s also experiencing Discomfort of another sort.

The Aspie Guy was actually a lot harder for me to talk to, which surprised me. I told him that I read his Personal History and was trying to explain that he’s not Alone, and that I have similar Symptoms and Experiences to him but have various Coping Mechanisms, and would be happy to teach him what I knew, but he seemed to be in Denial about his Diagnosis, sadly. It was actually quite frustrating for me at the time trying to reason with him coz I felt like I was looking into a Mirror of myself when I’m extremely grumpy, although I suppose in super-Meltdown mode as a Child, I couldn’t be reasoned with either.

I felt that I let him down coz as an Aspie, I was supposed to be empathetic towards his Experiences, and that I didn’t do “well” enough, in contrast to the Woman with Bipolar Disorder. In Retrospect however, I think he had overlapping Issues of Sleep Deprivation and Agitation over being in a new Environment filled with “Strangers” (other Psych Patients) that wouldn’t be conducive to Mental and Physical Rest. Certainly from my Sleep Problems in the past, I’ve done things that I never would’ve done if I was well-rested, plus I had impaired Cognition. I briefly discussed his Case with his Case Worker who actually agreed that the APU was NOT the appropriate Place for him to be managed, but there was a HUGE shortage of appropriate Facilities for ASD Adults in Strife to be referred to, which is why he was here for now. I hope his situation has improved by now...

It made me wonder how much I could decompensate in the future to the Point of needing a Psychiatric Admission myself... : S 

No comments:

Post a Comment